Job by Lawyers for Human Rights
Category: Legal, Social Sciences and Community
Location: Addis Ababa
Career Level: Senior Level (5+ years experience)
Employment Type: Contract
Lawyers for Human Rights (LHR) is an Ethiopian civil society organization that re-registered on 19 September 2019 before the FDRE Civil Societies Organizations Agency as per Proclamation No. 1113/2019. The objectives of the Organization includes among other to promote and advocate human rights among others through increasing the participation and contribution of lawyers in the area of human rights through trainings and other capacity building activities, supporting lawyers across the nation and help exchange of ideas, information and experience for better protection of human rights and prevalence of human rights, litigating before courts and other relevant organs to ensure protection and promotion of human rights recognized under the FDRE Constitution and international human rights instruments ratified by Ethiopia, awareness creation for justice organs on international human rights instruments ratified by Ethiopia, providing free or low cost legal services for victims of human rights violation particularly disadvantaged communities, influencing the government to enact new laws or amend existing ones to ensure the full protection for human rights, familiarizing the idea of human rights defenders (HRD) among the lawyers .
In order to achieve its objectives, LHR has been implementing projects in the past four years which includes series of trainings on basic human rights and strategic litigation to practicing lawyers, judges and prosecutors; filed cases of strategic litigation to judicial bodies; monitored the compatibility of laws enacted in the recent reforms with human rights standards through research and consultative workshops, providing legal aid services to the indigent and vulnerable groups, etc.
In the implementation of the projects, LHR has been engaging with national and international stakeholders in the past years including National Endowment for Democracy (NED), Open Society Foundations (OSF), USAID Justice Activity Project, Freedom House (FH), Civil Rights Defenders (CRD), French Development Agency (AFD), Konrad Adenauer Stiftung (KAS), Projects Expedite Justice (PEJ), etc.
LHR is looking for a Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer, who will be responsible for monitoring and evaluating implementation of project activities as well derive lessons learned in the process.
Key Roles and responsibilities
The MEL Officer will undertake work in Addis Ababa on a part-time basis. Under the supervision of and reporting directly to the Executive Director, the MEL officer shall assume the following specific responsibilities for the length of his/her employment with LHR:
- In coordination with the Executive Director, Program Coordinator, and other technical staff, develop the Activity’s Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Plan;
- Create and maintain a sustainable MEL monitoring and reporting system to develop realistic and convenient data collection plans, periodically review data, perform data analysis, and report findings in cooperation and coordination with Activity staff and national partners;
- Develop data gathering and record keeping systems to monitor performance indicators with quantifiable data establishing baselines, denoting progress, and measure actual results compared to expected results;
- Collect, analyze, organize and review statistical data and information relating to the Open Society Policy Center activities, indicators, milestones, results, and objectives as established by LHR and the OSPC team;
- Actively participate in meetings and contribute to the development and implementation of annual work plans and decisions by the management team to achieve the objectives of the Activity;
- Design monitoring and evaluation plans to projects designed by LHR;
- Conduct trainings on developed approaches for Activity and counterpart staff, as needed and required by the Executive Director;
- Conduct and oversee research, surveys, data collection and quality assessments as requested by the Executive Director, donors and other staffs;
- Ensure compliance at all levels with relevant donors’ performance and results requirement
- Prepare bi-annual and annual M & E reports;
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director and Program Coordinator or his/her designee.
Employment Type: Part-time (20 hours/week)
- The candidate shall meet the following minimum qualification standards for the position, where appropriate, equivalent experience has been indicated:
- Degree Required: University degree in law, social sciences, or related field
- Years of Experience/ Experience Required: At least 5 years of progressive work experience in international development, with at least 3 years of specialized monitoring and evaluation experience
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Amharic
Computer Skills: Microsoft Office
- Well organized, team player
- Ability to effectively communicate with stakeholders from different levels and backgrounds
- Ability to independently write high-quality reports for a variety of target groups and audiences
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job.
How to Apply
We invite qualified candidates to submit only a resume and cover letter through email:
Deadlines: 10 working days after the opportunity is announced on ethiojobs.net.
LHR encourages capable women applicants.
Only candidates who fulfil the requirements selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply Now Deadline
Feb 24, 2023
Zambil App: Where Online Jobs and Local Buying & Selling Meet in Ethiopia
Work from Home with Ease: Embrace the perfect work-life balance through Zambil’s user-friendly interface. No matter if you’re a skilled professional, a fresh graduate, or seeking part-time gigs, Zambil offers a plethora of job listings across various industries tailored to your expertise and interests.
Discover the Power of Zambil App:
- Browse Job Opportunities: Say goodbye to endless job hunting! Zambil curates a diverse range of job openings, regularly updated to ensure you never miss the perfect job match.
- Embrace Endless Possibilities: Download the Zambil App now and unlock a world of opportunities. Whether you’re after your dream job or profitable deals in Ethiopia, Zambil is your ultimate solution.
- Don’t wait any longer – seize the chance to transform your future with Zambil!