International Committee of the Red Cross
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Delegation in Ethiopia is looking to hire an experienced, highly motivated and qualified person to fill the position of Communication Officer 2 (1 year fixed term contract), based in Jijiga.
The role of the Communication Officer 2 in Jijiga Sub Delegation is to ensure a smooth implementation of communication activities in the AoR and to maintain the quality and coherence of the communication files. The Communication Field Officer 2:
- Contributes to the implementation and running of specific projects under his/her supervision.
- Conducts seminars, workshops, dissemination sessions etc. to various target groups under his/her supervision.
- Maintains contacts with various interlocutors mainly independently.
- Follows up the mass media campaign on a regular basis and advises on issues related to publications and media presentations
- Proposes dissemination activities in accordance with the Sub-delegation’s objectives.
- Gather AV content for the visibility of the Sub Delegation activities.
- Contributes to written reporting.
- Contributes to the development and production of dissemination tools.
- Provides oral and written translation.
- Understands and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Understands and adheres to the ICRC Code of Conduct
- Understands the roles of the components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Respects and observes staff regulations and security rules at all times
- Represents the ICRC in a professional manner at all times
- Develops and maintains a pleasant and conducive working environment with colleagues and line managers
- Performs all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC
- May be asked to perform tasks not covered in this job description and to provide support to other departments when necessary
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. SPECIFIC ACTIVITIES
1. Operational Communication (OPCOM)
- Autonomously proposes, prepares, organizes and leads dissemination sessions on the ICRC and IHL for the attention of different audiences, when pertinent jointly with ERCS, such as local authorities, religious and community leaders, traditional elders, community members;
- Makes proposals to ensure a good image and good acceptance of the ICRC in the country, in accordance with the NIHA identity of the institution;
- Prepares relevant dissemination material (print and audio-visual) and presentations to be used for OPCOM sessions in the field;
- Distributes ICRC publications to relevant interlocutors and contacts;
- Responsible for gathering content and documenting activities (Photographs, videos, stories of beneficiaries) done by ICRC within Somali Region as well as writing stories;
- Translates ICRC products into Somali and also proofreads all Somali documents before printing;
- Provides support to ICRC sponsored dissemination programmes organized by the ERCS;
- Contributes to various institutional reporting.
- In collaboration with the immediate supervisor and ERCS, establishes, maintains and develops network of interlocutors in the field;
- When necessary meets interlocutors with concerned ERCS representative(s) and/or HoSD to exchange information on issues and situations related to the activities of the Movement in general and to the ICRC in particular in the region;
- Maintain close contact with ERCS local branches;
- Updates the list of interlocutors in the field;
- Briefs visitors and new staff members about the program and activities of communication.
3. OFFICE ACTIVITIES
- Prepares written reports on the specific activities carried out in the field;
- Gather, analyses and communicates information relevant to the activities of the institution;
- Provides weekly summary on the region’s developments based on daily reading and analysis of newspapers, radio/tv, social media and other sources of information;
- Provides ad hoc briefings to the HoSD and in department meetings on the general political & security situations, humanitarian issues, main recent events and developments, etc. encountered during field trips;
- Maintains close working relationship with the communication team in Addis and provides support in other areas of the country as required.
b. Administration – Finance
- Knows, applies and complies with all the administrative procedures linked to her/his work (settling financial expenditure, cash forecast, time reporting, budget follow up, …etc)
- Keeps files related to the program up-to-date at all times,
4. SUPPORT TO THE SUB-DELEGATION
- Advises on the general cultural, social and political situation and share relevant information related to the regions and localities;
- Contributes to the analysis of the security, socio-economic, cultural and political environment relevant to the ICRC and share such information with colleagues.
- Reports events and changes within the region or country that could have an impact on ICRC’s activities and hence provides sound elements to the sub-delegation that allow to establish objectives and priorities
- Participates actively in meetings;
- Provides oral and written translation
- Follows up on all work-related messages and correspondence with the relevant contacts and departments
- Is aware of the delegation’s objectives and has a good knowledge of the Movement and other contacts relevant to the position
- Collects and shares information so as to improve the ICRC’s understanding of the environment and humanitarian trends and responses
- Represents the ICRC in an appropriate way during activities, in meetings and in the field, and avoids any activity that may reflect negatively on the ICRC’s image
- Takes responsibility for their own professional learning and development.
- Makes translations of COM Addis documents from English to Somali Language.
Educational Background & Work Experience:
- College or university degree in Communication, Journalism, law, Social Sciences, or any other related field;
- Minimum 3 years work experience in a similar function with good performance related to humanitarian activities and communication
- Excellent knowledge and skill of analyzing the social, political, cultural, religious and ethnic environment of the region and country;
- Excellent knowledge of the nature and causes of conflict and violence in the regions;
- Sound knowledge of IHL and related national and international legal instruments
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Strong team sprit and availability to frequently travel to the fields
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Sense of responsibility and confidentiality
- Excellent command of spoken and written English, Somali and Amharic.
- Excellent Computer skills (MS Word, MS power point, MS Excel, knowledge of using social media platforms, etc.)
- Driving license 3rd grade
How to Apply
Candidates are expected to
1. First, submit a short online application form through the following link: https://forms.office.com/r/Y9nYx40YUB
2. Formally apply through ethiojobs, with the usual application documents (CV and cover letter)
NOTE: A CANDIDATE WHO DID NOT SUBMIT
1. The Online application form and
2. Send the CV AND COVER LETTER through ethiojobs will not be considered for this position.
Closing date: December 30, 2022
Women applicants and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted at all stages of the selection process.